This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to prepare, deliver and review a presentation to a target audience.
This unit applies to individuals who may be expected to make presentations for a range of purposes, such as marketing, training and promotions. They contribute well developed communication skills in presenting a range of concepts and ideas.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
1.1 Plan and document presentation approach and intended outcomes
1.2 Choose presentation strategies, format and delivery methods that match the characteristics of the target audience, location, resources and personnel needed
1.3 Select presentation aids, materials and techniques that suit the format and purpose of the presentation, and will enhance audience understanding of key concepts and central ideas
1.4 Brief others involved in the presentation on their roles/responsibilities within the presentation
1.5 Select techniques to evaluate presentation effectiveness
2.1 Explain and discuss desired outcomes of the presentation with the target audience
2.2 Use presentation aids, materials and examples to support target audience understanding of key concepts and central ideas
2.3 Monitor non-verbal and verbal communication of participants to promote attainment of presentation outcomes
2.4 Use persuasive communication techniques to secure audience interest
2.5 Provide opportunities for participants to seek clarification on central ideas and concepts, and adjust the presentation to meet participant needs and preferences
2.6 Summarise key concepts and ideas at strategic points to facilitate participant understanding
3.1 Implement techniques to review the effectiveness of the presentation
3.2 Seek and discuss reactions to the presentation from participants or from key personnel involved in the presentation
3.3 Utilise feedback from the audience or from key personnel involved in the presentation to make changes to central ideas presented
About This Course
Evidence of the ability to:
- prepare and deliver presentations related to occupation or area of interest which demonstrate the use of:
- effective presentation strategies and communication principles
- aids and materials to support the presentation
- select and implement methods to review the effectiveness of own presentation and document any changes which would improve future presentations.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
- identify information collection methods that will support review and feedback of presentations
- identify regulatory and organisational obligations and requirements relevant to presentations
- describe the principles of effective communication
- describe the range of presentation aids and materials available to support presentations.
Assessment must be conducted in a safe environment where evidence gathered demonstrates consistent performance of typical activities experienced by individuals using interpersonal communication skills in the workplace and include access to:
- equipment, materials and business software packages for making a presentation
- business technology
- interaction with others.
Assessors must satisfy NVR/AQTF assessor requirements.