This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to lead and manage effective workplace relationships.
It applies to individuals in leadership or management who have a prominent role in establishing and managing processes and procedures to support workplace relationships taking into account the organisation’s values, goals and cultural diversity.
At this level work will normally be carried out within complex and diverse methods and procedures, which require the exercise of considerable discretion and judgement, using a range of problem solving and decision making strategies.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
1.1 Ensure strategies and processes are in place to communicate information associated with the achievement of work responsibilities to all co-workers
1.2 Develop and/or implement consultation processes to ensure that employees have the opportunity to contribute to issues related to their work role
1.3 Facilitate feedback to employees on outcomes of the consultation processes
1.4 Develop and/or implement processes to ensure that issues raised are resolved promptly or referred to relevant personnel
2.1 Establish and/or implement policies to ensure that the organisation s cultural diversity and ethical values are adhered to
2.2 Gain and maintain the trust and confidence of colleagues and external contacts through professional conduct
2.3 Adjust own interpersonal communication styles to meet the organisation s cultural diversity and ethical environment and guide and support the work team in their personal adjustment process
3.1 Use networks to build workplace relationships providing identifiable outcomes for the team and the organisation
3.2 Conduct ongoing planning to ensure that effective internal and external workplace relationships are developed and maintained
4.1 Develop and/or implement strategies to ensure that difficulties in workplace relationships are identified and resolved
4.2 Establish processes and systems to ensure that conflict is identified and managed constructively in accordance with the organisation s policies and procedures
4.3 Provide guidance, counselling and support to assist co-workers in resolving their work difficulties
4.4 Develop and implement an action plan to address any identified difficulties
About This Course
Evidence of the ability to:
- develop and/or implement processes to manage ideas and information including:
- communicating information to support others to achieve work responsibilities
- facilitating employees’ contributions to consultation on work issues
- providing feedback on the outcomes of consultations
- resolution of issues raised or referral to relevant personnel
- establish and/or implement policies to ensure that the organisation s cultural diversity and ethical values are adhered to
- provide leadership through own behaviour including:
- professional conduct that promotes trust with internal and external contacts
- adjusting own interpersonal communication style to meet the organisation s cultural diversity and ethical environment
- plan for, and manage, the use of networks to support identifiable outcomes for the team and the organisation
- develop and/or implement processes and systems to manage difficulties including:
- identifying and resolving conflicts and other difficulties according to organisational policies and procedures
- planning how to address difficulties
- providing guidance, counselling and support to assist co-workers in resolving their work difficulties.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
- explain how systems, policies and procedures can support the development of effective work relationships focusing on interpersonal styles, communications, consultation, cultural and social sensitivity, networking and conflict resolution
- outline legislation relevant to managing effective workplace relationships.
Assessment must be conducted in a safe environment where evidence gathered demonstrates consistent performance of typical activities experienced in the management and leadership field of work and include access to:
- relevant legislation, regulations, standards and codes
- relevant workplace documentation and resources
- case studies and, where possible, real situations
- interaction with others.
Assessors must satisfy NVR/AQTF assessor requirements.