This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to identify and evaluate the range of marketing communication options and media, to design an integrated marketing communication plan, and to develop a marketing communication brief and creative brief reflecting client needs and preferences.
It applies to individuals working in a supervisory or management marketing or advertising role, within a marketing or advertising team or media organisation.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
1.1 Confirm marketing communication purpose and objectives with client
1.2 Obtain comprehensive client and product information
1.3 Review outcomes of previous marketing communication with client
1.4 Confirm budget allocation with client
2.1 Develop brief, ensuring it contains a client profile, purpose statement and objectives reflecting client needs
2.2 State marketing communication objectives in measurable terms and provide specific guidelines on what is to be accomplished by marketing communication
2.3 Define key characteristics, competitive factors and market situation facing product or service
2.4 Include a summary of information on target audience, and legal and ethical constraints
3.1 Select marketing communication options appropriate for marketing communication brief
3.2 Critically analyse advantages and disadvantages of each marketing communications variable and media vehicles for product or service
3.3 Determine media characteristics matching brief requirements
3.4 Analyse media consumption habits for primary and supplementary marketing media among target audiences
3.5 Evaluate media styles against the brand character of product or service being marketed
3.6 Compare advantages and disadvantages of selecting multiple media in a media plan
3.7 Develop and apply criteria for selecting multiple media combinations
4.1 Select media vehicles that match requirements of marketing brief for product or service
4.2 Recommend primary and secondary marketing media that meet target audience preferences
4.3 Ensure recommended media meet the brief, client s requirements, and legal and ethical constraints
About This Course
Evidence of the ability to:
- produce an integrated strategic marketing communication plan for presentation to a client, including:
- purpose statement
- definition of target audience
- analysis of product or service
- legal and ethical constraints
- marketing communication functions and media vehicles chosen, with rationale for each
- creative brief for media options
- schedule for creative work
- budgetary allocation for each media vehicle.
Note: If a specific volume or frequency is not stated, then evidence must be provided at least once.
To complete the unit requirements safely and effectively, the individual must:
- outline economic, social and industry trends relevant to choice of appropriate media options
- analyse industry products or services to recommend appropriate media options
- summarise key provisions of relevant legislation, codes of practice and national standards affecting marketing operations
- explain principles of consumer behaviour and influences on buyer behaviour
- summarise range of marketing communication options for different markets
- describe and contrast range of media vehicles for marketing communication options.
Assessment must be conducted in a safe environment where evidence gathered demonstrates consistent performance of typical activities experienced in the business development marketing field of work and include access to:
- office equipment and resources
- relevant legislation, regulations, standards and codes
- case studies and, where possible, real situations
- interaction with others.
Assessors must satisfy NVR/AQTF assessor requirements.